Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Social Media Shutdown

Hi friends and Happy Friday! Spring is finally starting to make its appearance here in South Carolina and I couldn't be more thrilled. This past week, I have felt led to eliminate something in my life that distracts me. When thinking on what this thing might be, the answer quickly became very clear. Social Media.

So for the next week, starting at 5 o' clock this afternoon to 5 o' clock next Friday, I'm taking myself off of all social media outlets. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Pinterest. Why am I doing this? Well to make a long answer short, there are a myriad of reasons as to why. Mainly, to disconnect from the online so I can connect with people, dive into school work (I have a stressful week coming up) and to intentionally have daily time in the Word without constantly being distracted or being tempted to be distracted.

Another reason for my "Social Media Shutdown" is jealousy. Recently, I have found myself becoming jealous of relationships, possessions and status that I have been seeing over social media outlets. I have become obsessed (almost) with constantly looking and seeing what others have that I don't. And that's not good. And it takes a toll on me. I realize that I need to find my identity in Christ and not my identity in the way that I portray myself online.

This is going to be hard. And I know that I'm constantly going to be tempted to login and catch up. But, I wont because I know that the Lord is with me in this and in everything I do. And that alone, is the greatest comfort of all.

See you in a week,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment